The Semiahmoo Arts Society (SAS) promotes ‘Arts for Everyone’. We believe that engagement with the Arts is an essential component of personal and community well-being.
From its home in the South Surrey Recreation and Arts Centre, SAS sponsors activities that include exhibitions, arts instruction for all ages, music, spoken word, live theatre, photography, pottery and an inclusive range in arts and cultural activities.
While SAS activities are made possible through a combination of private and public funding, its leadership comes from within our own community. For 46 years, SAS has been guided by volunteers who serve on its Board of Directors. The board develops policies in co-operation with the Membership of the Society, and supports the Executive Director, staff and volunteers, in managing the Semiahmoo Arts Centre.
As a Non-Profit Society, SAS is governed by the Societies’ Act of BC. Board members (Directors) are elected / confirmed at an Annual General Meeting. The current Board is seeking additional Board members to serve for one-year or two-year (renewable) terms as Directors, effective April 1st, 2020.
Responsibilities of Directors include:
- attendance at monthly (evening) meetings;
- willingness to become familiar with SAS, its policies and activities;
- knowledgeable participation in decision-making;
- involvement in occasional event planning and other committee work;
- participation in key organizational events;
- promoting the well-being of the organization and its success.
- ensure stewardship of the society
- provide sound financial management
- carry out and update the SAS strategic plan
- actively serve on the executive, and chair committees as required
- attend a variety of community events
Boards of Directors are most effective when the bring together a diversity of backgrounds, skills and experiences. Extensive Board experience is not required. SAS welcomes volunteers from fields both within and outside “The Arts”, broadly defined. Bring your business, professional and other life skills to the table and share them with our community.
Please forward information describing your interests, relevant skills and experience, along with contact information before February 15, 2020 to
We thank all applicants. Only suitable applicants will be contacted.